A lot of online lists and directories of the available social media channels exist, but perhaps the most comprehensive I’ve found is The Conversation Prism – helpfully updated for 2013!
The only problem with this tool is selecting the best from each of the available options. So I’m going to have a go at helping out. Feel free to leave your thoughts in the comments below!
Starting from the top…
- Facebook for brand building and engagement
- Google+ for SEO and profile linking to WordPress
- Tumblr for youth/art/fashion image driven topics
- Reddit for memes and geek culture
- Buzzfeed for news and pop culture
- Quora – the best question website anywhere!
- Disqus – works great for me with WordPress
- Etsy – the community here beats the others
- Twitter – why use anything else?
- Foursquare – the obvious leader
- GoodReads – I like the way this works, really neat
- Yammer – so easy to use, it’s true viral software
- Wikipedia – you’ll usually get more out of contributing to Wikipedia than you will from setting up your own wiki
Discussion and forums
- 4Chan – be warned…it’s the dustbin of the internet
Business (a very broad category!)
- Linkedin – number 1 for professional networking and collaboration
- I have only used CrowdSpring…so CrowdSpring!
Reviews and ratings (another very broad category!)
- Glassdoor is awesome for checking out potential employers
- Amazon has the best (and some of the funniest) reviews
- Pinterest – A phenomenon, and still growing
- Fancy – like Pinterest, but a bit cooler
- Youtube for mass-market
- Vimeo for quality/arty types
- Blip for sweet non-branded players
- Prezi for very annoying presentations 😉
- Slideshare for SEO and promotion
- Google docs (not listed) for usefulness!
- Eventbrite – because it’s the one a few people actually use
- Soundcloud – hugely popular and great functionality
- UStream (because it costs $333 a month to embed Livestream on your site!)
- Twitch (not listed) for livecasting gaming
- Flickr – for general albums and storage
- Instagram – for sharing and mobile images
- Delicious – the father of all bookmarking sites
- Klout – more people use this than the others, so your rating is a little more relevant
Quantified self (huh?)
- This one has lost me…
Did you make it all the way down here? Ok…well here’s the greatest tip of all. If you are wondering what is the most important social media site that’s missing from this list…it’s Ifttt.com